Black Mold Removal DIY – How To Get Rid of Black Mold ? When your home is damaged by water or humidity it only takes between 24 and 48 hours for toxic mold to begin to grow. This can be quite alarming and stressful because of all the other things you have to worry about when your home is subject to an accident other than how to get rid of black mold. However, this is an important thing to take care of so that you don’t have more serious problems in the future because of it.

Make sure that you are educated on what mold looks like and how to spot it. It typically is a greenish black and is usually found in bathrooms and the basement because these areas are the most vulnerable to moisture and darkness. However it can be almost anywhere and can grow on almost anything including cement tile, wood, fabric, insulation, and carpet. You can invest in some mold testing kits to find out where all the mold is. Many times you can see it quite plainly and other times it is hidden in cracks and holes so it is important to test for it. When you test for it you will use a petri dish to pick up the spores in the air. When mold grows and dries out it usually send spores airborne. This is dangerous because it can cause serious health problems to those living in the infected area. Some people are allergic to different types of mold and can have a serious reaction, even death.

Once you have tracked down all the areas that do have mold it is important to make sure the area is well ventilated. You can use negative pressure to do this by placing a large vent and fan by the window. You can also use UV lights as a way to stop the spread of the moldy colonies. When learning how to get rid of black mold you should also know that you shouldn’t completely dry out the mold before you clean it cause that can push more of it into the air and spread it throughout your home. If this happens it might be time to call a professional and have them clean your entire house and rid it of the fungi. Hopefully it doesn’t get this serious and you can stop the progression of it before it gets too far.

You may need to clean the areas two or three times in order to completely kill all the spores. It is smart to dry the area you have cleaned, and then to test it again in a couple of days to make sure that you have been able to get rid of the black mold once and for all. No matter what your problem you can take these simple steps to start restoring your home back to the sanctuary that it should be.


You will need to find the cause of the excess moisture, and fix it, so that the mold will be less likely to return after cleaning. You can clean the moldy areas with soap and water first, and dispose of all materials immediately after wiping the surface down. After cleaning initially, you will want to use other chemicals to at least retard growth of the black mold.

Some of these household solvents are:
• one cup chlorine bleach in one gallon of water
• half vinegar, half water mixture
• undiluted vinegar
• undiluted hydrogen peroxide
• one tablespoon boric acid mixed with one cup of water
• pure lemon juice
• one teaspoon tea tree oil mixed with one cup of water

You may decide instead to choose from a multitude of pre-mixed solvents sold in stores, made to remove black mold, or you can use the mixtures above in a spray bottle, but be careful not to spread the spores in this manner.

When you have finished cleaning with the solvent, let the areas dry completely, then inspect, and go over the areas again as needed. Remember after cleaning, to dispose of all materials used to clean, in a garbage bag, and tie it securely.

If the cleaning material is not disposed of correctly, the mold spores will spread again.
If you feel that the infestation of black mold is too large to clean yourself, you can contract a professional mold remediator.

They will take air quality and moisture tests of your home, use High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filtration and negative air handlers to take contaminated air out, and bring fresh air in.
They are equipped with strict safety measures, and very potent biocides which will kill the black mold on both porous and non-porous surfaces, by attacking the mycelia, or roots of the black mold, instead of just the surface mold that is visible. Biocides may be purchased to use only by professionals, so they are more effective, and longer lasting than household treatments.

If you have mold in your heating and air conditioning units, it must be eliminated by professional intervention. The costs of professional mold remediation are based upon the size and extent of black mold infestation, and can be quite high, but you can’t put a price on your family’s health.
Either way, black mold is something that you do not want, and whether you are able to get rid of it by cleaning it yourself, or contracting someone to do it professionally, it must be addressed, and is worth the time, effort, and price.